Viewing point clouds is difficult, it often requires special software to view it. What if there was a different way to view them if you could just view them in a browser.
There is. www.potree.org is a free open source program that can be used to to stream point clouds from you own server. However setting it up is not done via a GUI interface.
- Download and install XAMPP and start a local server
- Right mouse click an run XAMPP as an admin
- Download Potree convertor from github
- Install on C:\PotreeConverter_1.6_windows_x64
- Open up a terminal window using by typeing
- Go to the root directory C:\ by typing
- Copy and paste the point cloud you want to stream to your C directory. The point cloud should be in .las format
- With the .las in the C:\ Change directory using “
cd” and go the potree convertor directory
- Run the program by typing
“PotreeConverter.exe C:/pointcloud.las -o C:/xampp/htdocs/potree --generate-page pageName”
Potreeconverter.exe” runs the potree converter exe file.
C:/pointcloud.las” is the location of the las file.
-o” is the output directory
pageName" is the name of the file
- This means that it will output a file called “pageName” to a folder called potree in the following path. “
- To run the file, enter the following into the browser